Forum home Plants

One post or many?

steveTusteveTu Posts: 2,591
Just a quick question - I have a half dozen or so plants to ID - is it better from a forum point of view (and for others searching) to raise individual threads for each or to bundle them all up into one post?
UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 28,841
    Better to split into 2 or 3 posts and also make sure the picture size is not too big as it takes too long to download for those of us with slownet.

Helps to number them too.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,750
    Obelixx said:
    Better to split into 2 or 3 posts and also make sure the picture size is not too big as it takes too long to download for those of us with slownet.

or put a couple on , and once IDs have been given , add some more to the same thread?
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,776
    Hostafan1 said:
    Obelixx said:

or put a couple on , and once IDs have been given , add some more to the same thread?
    But I’ve noticed that sometimes when folk do that someone new to the thread only reads the first post/sees the first picture ... and then they ID that but their answer goes underneath another pic much later on in the thread ... can causer  confusion. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,750
    why do folk read the first line, but not read the previous comments? Do they assume that nobody else knows the answer? People are weird.
    Devon.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150
    I think six photos in one thread is fine. Posted in two's with gaps inbetween and each one numbered makes it clearer.

The problem ones have 20+ pics, no gaps and all blurr into one giant strip of images 😱. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 21,383
    Would be nice if you can tap on your subject, we have photos of blurred flowers and clear backgrounds, that’s difficult. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Mind you @Lyn I bet a lot of the blurry photos come from tablets...why people use them to take plant close ups is puzzling. Trying to keep stable a 9+ inch screen while trying to use its substandard camera...is definitely not easy or logical.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • pansyfacepansyface Posts: 21,568
    Long ago in the dim and distant past I was a PA to a company director. He always wrote letters with only one question in them. He said that asking more than one question in a letter allowed the recipient to ignore the rest.
    So he would write a letter that just said

Dear Mr Smith,
    When may I expect to receive the book you told me you were writing?
    Yours

and then he would write another letter

Dear Mr Smith
    Regarding the letter you told me you were writing, what fees are you expecting to receive?
    Yours

It made for an awful lot of typing and postage, but he always got a clear answer.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 2,591
    Thanks again all. I'll post in a combination - I'll create a single thread, and then post multiple times, one per photo, in that thread to keep it clear.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,314
    I've posted on your thread Steve. Good clear pix and each one with a caption.
    Excellent  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...