Forum home Problem solving

Can I save my Azalea topiary?

I got this plant from my mother in law on mother’s day. It was so beautiful when I got it and now it is starting to die and leaves are falling off? Not sure if I am watering it too much, not enough sun, or should I move it outside? It currently sits in the corner of my breakfast nook between two windows.  corner of 

• B3B3 Posts: 21,471
    I'm not an expert, but there doesnt seem to be much soil in the pot 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • So it is in its original pot, I just put it in another one so it looks better. I didn’t want to transfer it because I have bad luck doing that lol every time I transfer a plant it dies 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,636
    edited June 2019
    The pot is put into another big pot and I wonder if there is adequate drainage. They should not be sitting in water. I would re-pot using ericaceous compost and added grit. Plant into a slightly larger pot and place outside in a semi shaded position at this time of year.

I'm guessing these are probably Azalea Indica, so not really hardy to be left outdoors in the winter months. However, in the warmer months like now, they will do better outside. If you can, keep it somewhere shaded first and then move to a semi shaded position and collect rain water to water the plant. Move the plant back in a cool place like a conservatory away from radiators in the winter months.