Forum home Plants

Lupin powdery mildew

EricaheatherEricaheather Posts: 204
Hi
Can anyone help please. Is this powdery mildew on my lupin? I never have any luck with lupins. What can I do to try and save it? Should I be concerned? Thanks

• LynLyn Posts: 21,343
    I’ve often got mould on plants, I take no notice, the new leaves usually come out ok them you can cut off the offensive ones. 
    I’ve  never used a fungal spray on a plant, some how it sorts itself out. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• EricaheatherEricaheather Posts: 204
    Thanks @Lyn. It has a musty smell too. Only just bought this a week or so ago because my seedlings failed , and I don't want to lose this one too
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,740
    It might have got dry in the pot before you bought it. That’ll make it susceptible to powder mildew. Keeping it  well watered at the roots will perk it up. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you! 
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    edited June 2019
    You could spray it with anything between 10% to 20% milk and 90% to 80% water. It is often referred to as a preventative measure but I used it on overwintering lupins and it cleared it. Make sure you plant isn't too wet or too dry and allow air to circulate if you can. It will probably clear up on its own now that it is outside but if it bothers you, try the milk. 
    SW Scotland
    I will do, thank you. It's been outside since we bought it (it was stored outdoors in the shop). We have had day after day of consistent  rain up until yesterday, and thought that may be the cause. I will definitely try the milk and keep my fingers crossed. Thank you all :)
  • does powdery mildew stay in soil forever?