Forum home Fruit & veg

Pepper plant going to die?

Bought this “snack” pepper plant right before 3 days of none stop rain. Went out today to finally plant it and found a very soft, yellow stem. I cut it off with clean shears and am left with this. Please see the attached photo! Is the whole plant going to die? Is there a way to save it? I’m new to gardening so I will be grateful for any advice! Thank you 

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,636
    Make a clean cut to the stem below the damage.  You will lose the top growth but given the warmth, it may have time to recover enough to provide a few fruits. 
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    that is one option, i would risk leaving it. If it spreads you can still chop the top off then. It wasn't the weather alone that did this to your plant, I'm suspecting it just took a week to properly show whatever rot this is.

I would disinfect the site but not sure if you have anything suitable for plants. Whatever you do let it dry out as much as possible, any further dampness and that area is dead.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,875
    yes, good advice, I dont know where you live, but I have never bothered to put peppers outside, because of these problems, and I live in SE UK 10 minutes from the sea, so sheltered.