Forum home Fruit & veg

Hylocereus Undatus/ Dragonfruit

Over the past two years I have grown dragonfruit from seeds. I regularly water the plants and they have eventually grown a certain height. I have never fertilized the plants yet. I have the plants in a pot with cactus soil. the plants that were taller I attached to a stick with zip ties to keep it upright. I planned on making the space between the zip ties and the stick bigger when it grew. I also thinned out the space in the pot by removing the smaller plants that never grew.
I tried to figure out the best kind of fertilizer to use for the dragonfruit, so I did some research and found that 6-6-6 and 8-3-9 were effective. I searched online for the fertilizer and could not find it anywhere. So basically my questions are how long do you think it will take to reach maturity, what kind of things I need to add to its environment to help it grow, how to get it to flower when it reaches maturity, where to find fertilizer that'
s good for this plant, and when and how do I apply the fertilizer.

• I also have another pot with more plants
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,177
    edited June 2019
    Good luck with your cacti.
    I know little about them, but as far as fertilizer goes 6-6-6 just means it's a balanced fertilizer, so 4-4-4 is the same, so is 10-10-10. They all contain equal amounts Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P) and Potassium (K). They're just different strengths.

I wouldn't concern yourself too much about the exact type of feed.
    Cacti feed is widely available and I'm sure it would be fine for yours, or you could use a general plant fertilizer. Most cacti feeds seem to be low in Nitrogen due to their slow growth.
    I guess you have a while to wait for fruits though..
    I hope you do well with them

PS - I don't think the ties are needed, the plant naturally cascades over the side of the pot.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • okay I was just concerned of the overall health of the plant, thank you
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,371
    Have you double checked your growing medium is right, with enough drainage?
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    very cute. I doubt many people would have the patience to grow cacti from seed. what pete said about the nutrients is spot on. the higher the numbers the more you need to dilute it, instructions on the pack, always start off with half the recommended amount.
    From what I know cacti can live for years with minimal nutrients. They are looking great if you ask me