Forum home Problem solving

W. Lumsdon

I have a wisteria that I planted 15 years ago and it has flowered every year. It had masses of flowers on it this year but since flowering all the leaves have started withering. Is it dying or is there another explanation, I know it needs pruning badly and I was going to do it this year.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,293
    I think we’re still seeing the effects of last years drought coupled with a very dry winter and spring ( up until last week that is). I’m seeing many trees shrubs and climbers really struggling this year because down below the top few inches he foil is very dry. 
    I’m recommending ten gallons of water twice a week for a lot of  shrubs and climbers. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for response dovefromabove but I have just cleared some weeds from the base of the wisteria and uncovered something that I think could be terminal there is a lot of rot (see picture).
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,851
    Sorry but that looks terminal.  You could do a massive prune to take off some of the transpirational pull of water which is stressing the plant, water well and hope. If it grows back tie in the new shoots where you want them, If it doesn't , well it was going to die anyway.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,293
    😢 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh