Forum home Problem solving

Not sure what these are on the plant.

Hi all I'm fairly new to gardening & not very green fingered at all & bought some house plants that was great for purifying the air in the house . Ive noticed this week that on 1 of the plants are these white spots which looks like eggs spreading all the way up to the top leaf!?? Can anyone advise what they are & what to do to get rid of them to salvage the plant ? Thanks in advance!

• pingupingpinguping Posts: 6
    This is the plant .
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,202
    Possibly mealybugs.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • try spraying with soapy water or, with soapy water and neem oil.
    Thanks guys , will give it a try fingers crossed it will sort it out!  :)
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    that is a lovely plant but unfortunately it does seem to be infected with something nasty. Personally I would quarantine it outdoors.
    Rain and wind would help and if the problem has not resolved outdoors by winter one uk winter would sort it out. I know you got it to fill that space but I would make sure the pest is gone before you use this plant. 
    Thank you , appreciate all suggestions & yes I thought the same to quarantine the plant incase it spread to the others!👍 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,858
    Try putting a drop of vinegar on some of the white stuff and see if it fizzes. It could be sweating salts or minerals from being watered with tap water. Pick off some of it as well and see if it feels gritty or if it is more organic and squishy if you rub it between your fingers.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I wouldn't personally risk it outside. I've lost houseplants that way in a week.
    I havent left it outside in fear of other insects making a new home in the soil so kept it in the utility for the mean time but I lifted the pot out within the pot & noticed teeny tiny crawly things running around ,quite fast so it may be related to them?😐🤷🏻‍♀️
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    sounds like it. I would spray it all with some bug clear ultra but if you don't want to use pesticides then you can look at a homemade one like this one https://homeguides.sfgate.com/homemade-chili-powder-sprays-insecticide-86195.html

spray all the white bits, spray the soil and repeat the treatment a week later.