Forum home Problem solving

Clematis Montana - No flowers?

Hi, I have a 3 year old Clematis Montana trained up timber support on a west facing wall. The last two years we had a great display of flowers but this year hardly nothing? The plant itself looks very healthy and is continuing to grow upwards and along the wall and the leaves and stems look great but no flowering? Any thoughts?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    Usually, non flowering is a result of pruning, but I assume you haven't done that?
    Has it been affected by the drought conditions last year? Young plants of all types can struggle if they lack moisture for a long period, but especially those which take several years to get going and establish well, which montanas often do.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,152
    Mine didn’t flower at all this year ... it’s near a large tree and both suffered in the drought last year as well as this years dry spring ... that’s what I’ve put it down to. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mmmm drought last year may be the answer? Stupidly left it alone most of the summer thinking it looked so healthy I didn't water it as much as I could have. I didn't prune at all so perhaps it was still thirsty from last year? No worries about the British summer this year it seems  :D  B)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    Don't worry unecessarily Paul - it should be fine for next year  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you. Will give it some TLC this year. But, it seems, there is no risk of drought this year!!!!  B)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,152
    Not so far 🤞 
    I think we can stop doing the rain dance now 💃🕺
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh