Forum home Problem solving

Garlic spray

Can anyone give me the quantities for the garlic spray for covering hostas please. I know it was boiling garlic in water but I don't know how much of each.

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    We looked it up after hearing about in on GW.  Recipes vary hugely!   Some say 2 cloves in 2 pints of water, other 2 whole heads of garlic!  

So I don’t think it’s critical.  We’ve just made our first batch and put one head of garlic in a good litre+ of water, boiled for about 5 minutes, strained and bottled.   The hosta’s and lettuces will get it tonight.... if they are all dead tomorrow the I got it wrong!
  • janice 60janice 60 Posts: 4
    Thanks I'll give it a go
    Thanks I'll give it a go
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    This is the 'recipe' from the Hosta people on the programme (from Twitter):

-

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    edited June 2019
    People seem to have different ideas.
    For my vegetable plot I boil up two large cloves outer dry skin removed and chopped in a litre of water then use about 25 - 50ml of this in a litre of water in a spray bottle you really need to start using it as soon as the crop goes in the ground or the seeds come up as I found this works best.
    Other people mix it with soapy water and / or a little vegetable oil, others liquidise it into the water, so it's a case of what you think works best for you.
    I think with Hosta's they recommend you start early in the season February March time

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • theend00theend00 Posts: 48
    Is it necessary to make a spray I wonder ? Do the cloves or plants themselves repel them , or do they need to come into contact with allicin ? I was considering using garlic or rosemary around delphiniums 
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I read somewhere once that by planting garlic it would help keep mice and rabbits away from sweet corn plants, so no harm in experimenting.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    Thanks everyone I will try
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    When I grow garlic, the slugs love them and make a beeline over night.
  • I read somewhere once that by planting garlic it would help keep mice and rabbits away from sweet corn plants, so no harm in experimenting.
    i had terrible problems with aphids on my hellebores the first summer I move here, and at the suggestion of Evelyn from the Beechgrove Garden I used garlic wash one week, neem oil/horicultural soap the next and planted alliums next to the hellebores. I did not need to do the garlic wash in subsequent years but still spray most of the (ornamental) plants in the garden with NeemOil most weeks.