Forum home Problem solving

Bindweed?

siananiganssiananigans Posts: 49
edited June 2019 in Problem solving
Is this bindweed? Our old garden was full of bindweed, but this looks somewhat different. 
I've just come back from 2 weeks holiday and with all the rain my garden has gone a bit crazy. I've noticed this coming up through the lawn in a few places. As I said before my first instinct said bind weed due to the way that it's wrapping itself around the long grass... But something looks different about it. Any help appreciated! 

Could it be Convolvulus arvensis field bindweed rather than regular hedge bindweed? 

If it's on the lawn I guess I shouldn't really be putting the lawn clippings in the compost? 

• It'd really probably help if I included the photos wouldn't it.... *facepalm* editing now
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    Yes that looks like field bindweed to me ... pinkish flowers if it’s got that far. Not quite as much of a PITA as the hedge bindweed so if you had to have one of them you chose the right one 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Yes it’s the other bindweed - equally evil.   Can you dig it out before you mow or is there too much?
  • OK good to know @Dovefromabove, it's not got to flowering stage... I'll just cut the grass and that'll hopefully keep it in check. 

Any thoughts on putting in the compost bin? 
  • Helix said:
    Yes it’s the other bindweed - equally evil.   Can you dig it out before you mow or is there too much?
    No chance, there's not huge amounts but it's all over. And I imagine if its like the other bind weed the roots will be all under the lawn if it's popping up not just in one area. 

We plan to re-landscape the garden next year, so I think for now I'll just need to keep on top of the mowing. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    I wouldn't compost it if I were you, it would only need one bit of root to get in there,  or a seed or two.  Which is a pain because in your case it means not composting your grass clippings.  I think if you mow weekly, you'll keep on top of it.  It might even give up as it's only recently arrived.