Forum home Problem solving

No growing

BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
What's the reason behind some plants not growing on after being planted out. I have a couple of dahlia that have stayed the same after planting them out 2 weeks ago where as the others I've planted are growing strong. I have the same problem with a few French marigold

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    I've Googled the issue and cannot find an answer 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,013
    Some varieties of dahlia take longer to get going than others. I find with mine, it's the darker ones that lag a few weeks behind, but again, I assume it's the variety rather than the colour.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    its been cold and wet/windy for the last week at least, they plant is biding its time waiting for it to get warm again
    They are bishop of Llandaff. I've planted out 12. 9 are going fantastic but 3 are not moving. They were started in the greenhouse then planted out all at the the same time 
  • OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,659
    They may be slow starters and catch up.  Also no telling what's happening under ground in terms of root growth.  Some plants are just weaker than others, as well. 

I have a couple bare root rose climbers planted out last Autumn, one is putting on a lot of growth while the other has seemingly done nothing and is only just now starting to show any growth.

Similarly I have two honeysuckles, planted at the same time.  One has taken off while the other seems to be just sulking.  They are in essentially identical growing conditions, but I think one is just a weaker plant overall.
    It's amazing because they were bought as tubers from the same suppliers planted in the compost and planted outside at the same stage of growth. I'll take a picture 

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    It could be a smaller tuber on the little one. I find bits fall off all over the place but as long as there is a neck I plant them anyway. Just keep feeding and watering and I am sure they will catch up.
    SW Scotland
  • I planted 3 dahlias, all different varieties and none of them have grown any more since planting out. They were doing well in their pots! Oh well nice to know i’m not the only one. 😂