Forum home Problem solving

rain water diverter

Hi everyone.  I purchased two 'triple' type water butts from Evengreener about four years ago but they do not seem to do them now.  My problem is that the rain water diverter on one of the butts does not seem to be diverting the water into the butt - it is going straight down the downpipe.  The other butt is working fine.  I've noticed that on the 'good' water butt the diverter is fixed on the downpipe just above  the level of the top of the butt but on the other one the diverter is fixed about 4-5 inches above the top of the butt and I'm wondering if that is the problem.  Can anyone enlighten me please?

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    The outlet from the diverter should be level with the inlet to the butt. If the diverter is above the top of the butt then your butt should overflow. Sounds like your diverter is blocked though. Check that it is clear and make sure it is at the correct level.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    I had the same problem with one of my diverters earlier this year. I bought a replacement (just a standard one from B&Q- I have regular square cross-section downpipes, nothing fancy) but when I took the old one off it was just bunged up with bits of twig and leafs. I fitted the new one and cleaned out the old one so now I have a spare to swap in next time.
  • Thank you for your prompt reply.  I have checked the diverter and it doesn't seem to be bunged up but I will check again and probably give it a good flush through. 
  • Thanks steephill.  Yes, I did read about someone else having an overflow problem.  I had some work done in my house and that person put the water butt in and fixed the diverter and at one time everything was working ok so I don't know why not now.  I have checked that it is not bunged up but will check again.  So maybe it is not that the diverter is too high.
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    edited June 2019
    I had to clear mine out a few weeks back and found slugs along with a load of gunk so your's might be the same. I have 7 water butts and the first one's hole is slightly higher than the second and the second slightly higher than the third and so on, it doesn't need to be by much but makes a difference. Also check the part that you have put between the down pipe, you will have to take one pat of the down pipe away so you can take the whole diverter out as slug do seem to like to hide in there.
  • Thanks NannaBoo -  I didn't think of slugs.  It does seem that the diverter being higher than the butt isn't the problem.
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    brightboys322 sorry about late reply also flush through the pipe that connects the two water butts together because apart from slung the slugs will get in there also. You will need to check once or twice a year. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Was just wondering if they were worth buying,  odly enough, was looking at water butts on-line yesterday,we have 4 water butts, but not one on our conservatory at the moment, there were 2 there, big ugly green plastic things right outside my kitchen etc window, we had the conservatory re-done, new roof,windows,side panels.  I was looking at slightly more atractive water butts, on line, not a bad price, BUT then when you feature in the stand, maybe a diverter, lot more money, the 2 that were previously, one drained into the other, then, out the overflow, and into the nearby drain, anyway We have a dog flap, to consider there a gate to the front garden, and an outside tap..
  • Thanks NannyBoo.  I will check pipes too as you suggest.  Unfortunately I am having a problem removing the down pipe section below the diverter because of the way it has been fixed and will enlist the help of my son at the weekend.  Annoying because apparently it is going to rain all day today and I won't be collecting into that water butt :-(

Nanny Beach - Until recently I've had no trouble with the second water butt (the first one has been fine) but it seems likely that the rain diverter is clogged up and I need to clear it.  The butt itself seems fine.  However when I checked the website - Evengreener - they do not seem to have them anymore.  They hold a lot of water and are in three sections which can be used independently.  Also have a recessed top which will hold some pots and small holders for plants which are self watering and do help to make them look more attractive.  Perhaps they are available from other suppliers but I haven't really looked.
  • www.waterbuttsdirect.co.uk.  These are like my butts except that mine are triple and these are double.