Forum home Fruit & veg

Infected fruit trees

Hi Folks, can I ask you to take a look at these photos of various fruit trees i have. I have around 10 varieties of apple, plums, cherries etc and at least half of them have developed these odd leaves and shrunken/dried up fruits. All are planted in quite large terracotta pots and all did quite well last year with reasonable quantities of healthy fruits, but they are now looking extremely unwell 🤒 

Any advice you can give and/or cures(?!) would be greatly appreciated 😊

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,823
    As they are small, you could spray them with a pesticide for fruit trees.  Looks like a severe blackfly infestation.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806
    Or you could just let them grow out of it.

I say this because you might find that ladybird larvae have got into the curled leaves and begun to eat the aphids. Spraying to kill the aphids would also kill the ladybird larvae.

And, of course, the damage is done. No amount of insecticide will bring back the glossy leaves that have now perished.

The cherries look a bit different. The bark looks infected. Some sort of canker maybe.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.