Forum home Problem solving

What is this pest?

Does anyone know what these things are and what to do to get rid of them/prevent them in future? So far I have found them destroying my radishes and potatoes. I also wondered if they have something to do with why my carrots are not terminating. I would prefer a non-chemical solution if there is one. Thanks!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,164
    I don’t think they are a pest.

I think they are baby worms doing what worms do - turning rotting material into compost.

Your potato seems to have been attacked by something else - see the orange marks - and the baby worms are taking advantage of the fact that the potato is not in the best of health.

I would look into what has caused the orange marks.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,944
    I have those and wondered what the were, they’re not just worms, they are as hard as rock, try squashing one, they’re crunchy, they are usually curled up in a tight coil,  they seem to live in bulbs and corms and eat into them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

edited June 2019
    OK,

In which case I think they are Blaniulus guttularus.

😊

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/spotted-snake-millipedes.htm

But I still don’t think that they are the destroyer of potatoes. I think that they are opportunistically enjoying the rotting potato flesh.

• What can I do about them?
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,013
    Read the link from @pansyface they suggest biological control using nematodes plus cultural methods. I agree they are probably being opportunistic, wire worm or slugs will have made the initial damage, the orange spots are common scab, too much fresh manure or feed causes that.
    AB Still learning

edited June 2019
    Thank you, Allotment Boy

😊

For those who cannot make the link, here is an extract from it.

Please note the part that says eliminate the slug problem.