Forum home Garden design

Trying to find a Gardener

Hi everyone, my mum lives in the Norton in the North East and can't find a gardener who knows about plants and not just someone who does lawns and jet washing. She's had various people and gets stressed because they don't seem to do want she wants, like weeding etc. 
I just wondered if there is anyone on the forum who lives in that area and has a gardener they would recommend?
Think I'll copy this to plants discussion as not sure where to post.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,833
    Have you tried the Nextdoor network for her area ... it’s great for finding folk who can actually do stuff 

https://nextdoor.co.uk/news_feed/

You or she will have to join up for her area but it’s pretty straightforward. 

Good luck. 

Shame she’s not in the Ipswich area ... @WonkyWomble is the sort of gardener she needs. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pugslovesunpugslovesun Posts: 214
    Thank you for that, will check it out. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,528
    You could maybe try Facebook. I know how difficult it can be to find a "Gardener" as opposed to someone who can cut grass and cut stuff back.
    Don't know if your mum's tried these people (no connection to me) ?
    http://www.stocktongardener.co.uk/
    Thank you AnniD 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,276
    Yes it is tricky, a senior gardener I know calls them the Mow & Blow brigade, sadly this is all many people want or are prepared to pay for. Is there a horticultural college in her area? if there is then it is worth contacting them as they will have ex students who are properly qualified and looking for work.
    AB Still learning

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 630
    edited June 2019
    Many mow and blowers know everything there is to know about plants but choose to focus on lawns, hedges and cleaning because that's the best way to run a successful business. 

Impossible to make a legal living tending elderly people's borders, who invariably expect to pay £15/hr for the pleasure!
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 257
    Have you looked for garden services in your area on checkatrade? You can often read reviews of people who have used a service and will recommend (or not) someone.
    Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated.