Forum home Plants

Sowing sweet pea seeds

I have bought some sweet pea seeds with the idea of sowing them now ready to flower next year. Should I sow them indoors now, or am I too late for them to grow and flower this year? In which case should I sow them indoors next year?  Do they overwinter successfully as seedlings if I sowed them now to plant out next year.  Sorry, this seems a little tangled - I hope you can make sense of it all!

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 13,278
    I would not sow them now.
    I sow 3 lots: October, January and March.
    The October and January sowings are kept in a cold greenhouse, until the end of March, when they are planted out.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Thank you @punkdoc - you have cleared up my muddled mind and I will follow your lead on the sowing as we also have a cold GH.  I did think it was far too early to sow them now - however the instructions on the packet recommended to plant indoors now. 

• HelixHelix Posts: 631
    And pop the seeds in the fridge until october - just in case we have a hot summer! 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,708
    Carol Klein said the other night it's not too late to sow them now.
    Devon.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,343
    Have just sowed some more now, (alah Carol Klein) You dont need to put them in the fridge, I have always swoed my first lot October, Monty gave a specifican date, think it was 19th, but Have found they get too big and leggy, not sowed indoors, got Roger Parsons book says grown em mean (cold) keen em keen.  But I overwinter so much stuff in greenhouses, not going to bother agin, will wait till next spring.