Forum home Problem solving

Whats eating my courgettes?

KiliKili Posts: 1,019
Hi guys, your advice please.

Somethings eating my courgettes. It does not appear to be slugs. I'm not sure what it could be. Could you please look at the image and advise what it might be as I've not seen this before?

Many Thanks
Kili

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    Slugs or snails. If you go out at night and listen carefully, you’ll hear them rasping on the stalks.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    Hi Lyn, thanks for the quick reply. For some reason I dident think it would be slugs as I thought the outer skin would be to hard but, as I know nothing about gardening I'm going to take your advice and go on a slug hunt gr..... :#%^%&(

Many thanks
    Kili

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    Slugs and snails have very hard mouths, I had  a huge snail in a a tank once, I used to feed him on cucumber, we could hear him scraping at it. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Snails have a form of teeth...lots of them!
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,576
    Have a close look are there tooth marks? it could be mice/voles as well
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,870
    Grey squirrels decided my courgettes were ideal for dinner a couple of years ago...  (Then they chewed a hole in the strawberry net and feasted on strawberries for afters.)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore