Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomatoes what would happen if...

B3B3 Posts: 15,908
 ...I didn't do the pinchy out thing at the sides and pinched the top instead?
They're the tall type. Sungold -I think and sweet million.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
    you would get masses of flowers, masses of tiny tomatoes, and a lot less ripe edible ones. At least thats what Ive always believed anyway, but have never put it to the test!
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,908
    Not a good idea then. thanks @Jellyfire😊
    Do the trusses grow out of the leaf axils?
    Thanks  @philippa smith2 .they're outside tomatoes and have had a good spurt during the rain. Nothing much before that.
    Why would I dislike what you've said? I don't understand😕
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,900
    Trusses grow from the main stem, after a leaf. Side shoots in the leaf axils need to be removed.  Occasionally, especially in gardeners delight, a new stem and leaves develop at the end of a truss. Pinch these out as well.  The outdoor potato leaved type such as mortage lifter, can be left to grow anyhow.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    @B3 this link explains.

https://www.google.com/search?q=taking+side+shoots+out+tomatoes&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB827GB827&oq=taking+out+side+shoots+on+tomatoes&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.15235j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

I cut out  the growing tip of one of mine by mistake so all I have done is allow a side shoot to take over as the growing tip not a problem and it has its first truss starting I noticed today.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    Thank you everyone. I think I know what I'm doing now😊,

I've nervously dipped my toe into vegetable growing this year. I have a few spuds, a few broccoli, tomatoes and courgettes. I may poke a few stringless bean seeds  near the fence tomorrow. It seems to be  totally different to growing flowers.   I may just manage to assemble four of my five a day.
    I planted a few round carrots but mistakenly weeded them out because the seedlings looked a bit like nigella.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,833
    I grow sweet million, they do live up to there name!  You pick out side shoots of those as well, they grow into huge plants, stake well and stand well back😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I got the name mixed up with one for small containers. Ive had to make room for them. They'd better be good!
    One vegetable growing thing learnt. Read the packet before purchase!