Sambucus Nigra - Cuttings

Hi all,

I really want to attempt to grow another sambucus nigra from the cuttings of my existing one - I wonder if anyone can advise when is the best time of year to do so?

Thanks in advance,
Aidan.

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,529
    According to my Carol Klein book, you can take softwood (late spring / early summer), semi-ripe (later summer) or hardwood (autumn through winter) - so plenty of choice! The one she illustrates more fully is softwood with a heel.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • aidanhoadaidanhoad Posts: 31
    Fantastic, thank you so much. :)
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Just found this, don't know if it will help.

Sambucus nigra propagation

Both the green and black elders grow very well from cuttings and you are sure to want to propagate - especially if you have the stunning black elder in your garden. Success rates with cuttings are particularly good from young plants but still possible with older specimens.

Take semi-ripe cuttings in the summer or early autumn. The cutting should have a woody base but soft top growth. Cut just below a leaf node and aim for a cutting of about 10cm long. Remove the lower leaves and leave only about 4 leaves on the cutting. If these are large leaves cut them in half so that the cutting doesn't lose too much water. Dip the cutting in rooting compost and push gently into a pot of cuttings compost of planting compost mixed 50:50 with sand or perlite. Cover the pots with a plastic bag and place in a sheltered, sunny position. Keep the compost moist.  Once they show signs of growth you can remove the plastic bag and keep the cuttings out of frost. They should be ready for planting out the following spring.

The green-leaved common elder will self-seed prolifically and you should be able to find young trees by searching the garden near to your parent plant.