help with moving hydrangea

Hi all,would I be able to move a hydrangea bush at this time of year without killing it. The council are going to work on the outside of my house and I have been told to shift all my plants. Its not too big 'about three feet high and the same width. Any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,322
    If you have to move it, you have to move it.
    Water really thoroughly, get as big a rootball as possible,and water thoroughly after replanting. Keep it shady. You may have to cut it back a bit too. That will help it re establish as it won;t have to try and support all the top growth it will have.
    They're pretty tough plants, so it shouldnt be a problem.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LINDA FLINDA F Posts: 162
    Fairygirl thanks for that info,havent moved anything that big at this time of year.I will do as you say,..... and keep my fingers crossed.Thanks again.
  • NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 1,044
    I move my 4 ft high hydrangea 2 years ago by doing as Fairygirl said water well before you move it and well after it's been moved. The only other thing I'd add is to dig the new hole before you dig the plant up so you hand plant it straight away.
    Thanks NannaBoo, will do that,Must admit im a bit nervous about shifting it ,but nothing ventured nothing gained . Glad to hear yours done ok.
  • NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 1,044
    LINDA F as I cut it down to move it it didn't flower last year but I'm hopeful for a few flowers this year. If you dig around the plant but not to close and water it well then then next day the soil should be soft enough for you to dig a bit deeper allowing you to take more of it's roots. I would take a photo of mine but it's pouring down here. If you cut it down before moving which would be a good idea you could use the cutting and propagate them as now is a good time, they are easy to do.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    When you cut it back use some of the pieces as cuttings ... they grow roots very quickly if you put them in a jam jar of water on a windowsill

That way you’ve got an
    insurance policy and if you don’t need it you’ve got presents for friends. 

Good luck 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks Dovefromabove, good idea to take cuttings ,as you say plenty of gifts for family and friends if the move is successful.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    Have a largish piece of plastic like a cut open compost sack, if you do not have anything else, or something with wheels of some kind.
    I have moved a lot of things with big root balls by sliding them along on plastic sheet as it is better than nothing,  you don't have to lift it more than out of the hole you remove it from, unless you have to lift up steps or some other level and it works quite well sliding as the plastic is slippery.

As already mentioned it is a good idea to dig the hole first so you have less to do, when you are already knack...worn out from lifting and digging up the shrub.

And in a worse case scenario if you need to move everything, heap a bit of soil on the roots and wrap the plastic over weighted with a couple of stones or bricks it will tide it over and keep the roots moist, until you can finish the job.

Good Luck hope you move everything successfully and the workmen do not take too long and leave it tidy.

Thanks for that really useful info Rubytoo. Only one comment to make ....Have you ever had work done by the council.....leave it tidy?   Dont think so. Lost count of the things they broke or damaged the last time they did work on the outside of my house. Cowboys.