fox Problems

Two recent problems, a fox has recently started to leave a "calling card" on the step outside our front door, I've tried a diluted ammonia solution which appears to work but obviously the current constant rain means regular re-application.The fox has now started to dig small shallow holes in our front lawn.....any solutions which will not damage the grass ?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,131
    Unfortunately, there’s not a lot you can do about wild animals entering your property, a high metal fence dug deep into your soil can deter them.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,322
    We often get them, but usually they find somewhere else to dig if they cant get in. They're often digging for insect/grubs etc. If you use bonemeal in borders, that attracts them too.  
    You could try one of the water scarecrows for a while. They're very effective, but it depends on the set up of your garden etc. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,593
    Avoid blood fish and bone, too. And chicken manure pellets. Make sure they can't get at food waste and never put cooked stuff on the compost heap. Otherwise, there isn't much you can do.
  • mike3105Xmike3105X Posts: 3
    problem is our gardens are "open plan" so not able to erect any type of fencing . I suppose I'm looking for some form of chemical deterrent . I might look at some type of sonic deterrent but a little concerned about it being too visible to passers by
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,280
    Mightn't a sonic deterrent provoke all the neighbours' dogs to leave home? 

How about enthusing to your neighbours about how well all those abbatoir-derived fertilisers work, while not using them yourself?    ;)
  • mike3105Xmike3105X Posts: 3
    like yor suggestion but with a neighbour having a "special needs" springer spaniel & a cumgeon cat not particularly practical...............
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    All Springers are special needs :D

We have open plan and foxes, which occasionally present us with problems, though not recently, although they pass through.
    Not sure what might help I have no idea why they stop using our place except someone further along must have attracted them.
    Chemical wise is a product called Renardine still available?

Sprinkling something like blood fish bone on the outer limits of your property might work, although it attracts them maybe it will steer them away from your doormat.

Flush the area with soapy water or plain water to get rid of the fox smell as using a stronger "scent" like jeyes might actually attract them to try and cover it with their own?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,372
    Sonic deterrents work well. Also chilli powder once the rain has passed.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,593
    Chilli powder is incredibly cruel. And not just to foxes. Try putting a pinch up your nose and into your eyes before you take this advice.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,638
    We have two foxes who visit our front garden, they seem to like playing by jumping over the box hedges, in and out of the flower bed. I haven't had much problem with fox poo fortunately,  but a friend of mine tried something called "Scoot" (I have no link to the manufacturer )which worked for her, but of course it might not for you, nature being what it is.
    A bit more info about foxes and gardens here
    http://foxproject.org.uk/deterrence/