Pink Rose tree Only blooms in Winter/ identify

• catspawo6catspawo6 Posts: 13
    Marlorena said:
    ..nice Camellia, I always wanted one like that..

Otherwise... It's not unusual for roses to produce the odd bloom in winter...
    When you are able to get a decent picture of the rose, in flower showing the whole bloom, I might be able to identify it for you... until then. 

Thanks I will endeavour to dig out old photos..... It starts giving off and growing full blooms around mid November till early February,  about 3 winters back it reducded the number of full blooms over December/ January to around 7.... Up till then it would give out around 20/30 starting Xmas week and going on over new year, into about the 3rd week of January, then reduce the amount in February.
    It's all a mystery to me,, as apart from the thickened dead looking stems it's stayed that way all these decades since I moved here in late summer, then it bloomed that first winter.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,657
    Whereabouts are you?  I take it you are in the UK?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    Your green plant at the base looks like an Aquilegia.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,346
    This has evoked a childhood memory of a picture that hung in a godly neighbour's house: a painting of a rose bush blooming in a snow-covered garden, with the words below it:  "God gave us our memories so we could have roses in December."  That sentiment has stayed with me all my life, so that I have made a conscious effort to stock my life with good memories as a resource for my old age.  Sorry if I'm being mawkish.  Or rather, I'm sorry if you find this mawkish.  I doubt that neighbour had any idea what an impression her picture made on a young child.
    josusa47 said:
    This has evoked a childhood memory of a picture that hung in a godly neighbour's house: a painting of a rose bush blooming in a snow-covered garden, with the words below it:  "God gave us our memories so we could have roses in December."  That sentiment has stayed with me all my life, so that I have made a conscious effort to stock my life with good memories as a resource for my old age.  Sorry if I'm being mawkish.  Or rather, I'm sorry if you find this mawkish.  I doubt that neighbour had any idea what an impression her picture made on a young child.
    Ah Jos wish I could dig out those old photos, they're on film not digital.... thick white snow on the ground and rose tree covered in heavy pale pink blooms.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 784
    When I was a child, my neighbours had "roses" in their garden, which I hated because they were swimming with bees; I was scared of them and didn't like to walk past.
    I just learned in the past year, thanks to this forum, that those "roses" were actually peonies.
    I quite like bees now. I even rescued 2 today. One of them really wasn't having any of it though, stubborn little git. Half an hour wasted. I could have just left the window open and went away, but I bet I'd have ended up with 10 bees bashing themselves into windows when I got back. Silly bees.
    Kudos to all gardeners out there, it's not easy digging out!! My bad back doesn't help.... Why I put it all in containers 😁
    Obeliskk, Rubytoo, Omori.... I checked out the hybrid Tea and it appears to be a variety of them...well is closest looking to what I've ever seen.
    I'm dubious to cut it close down to ground level, as I said in other post, before I knew what had happened a gardener, (grass cutting idiot really) did that thinking brown hips no roses it was dead, but all the stalks were green, it's never grown back & I kept the area clear.

I did already take out  one dead stalk/ tree part other week when gave it a prune, just couldn't get angle of saw in any lower at the time & felt as though all of it would of uprooted..will try again. ..when finished making a circle clear around it...
    Ruby I looked up what you said the green plant was & it favours roses so will leave it there..must have dropped from birds pop lol.

Spot the bee? Round the rose...Nah me either by time I came indoors, went back out with tablet it had flown off,, But another one came from under the tree so videod it... Same colors of first but not as big, first one was wide as Tea spoon.... Love the way it has a chat with the woodlice.

Video doesn't appear to be able to play when uploaded on here... So here's a pic of bee
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 784
    I have the exact same yellow handled thingies from Wilko!
    edited 14 June
    Orchidia said:
    I have the exact same yellow handled thingies from Wilko!

Whatshop, 4 for a fiver .. bargain! ....Edit not advertised on website but are in-store

https://what-shop.co.uk/garden