Purple is not Blue

Does anyone else find it annoying when TV gardeners talk about blue flowers when they are clearly purple, or mauve at worst?

Or is it just me?

:D 

• pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 537
    Or black when it’s maroon or something...
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 199
    Roses are red, violets are blue ... yes, it annoys me :)
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,168
    I think there aren't too many plants that are tru!y blue.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,394
    "blue" roses!! Where's the green vomity emoji when I need it?
    Devon.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,501
    I like delphinium, amsonia, salvia patens, geraniums, pansies, agapanthus, campanula. They are all properly blue or have blue varieties. Oh, and cornflowers, how could I leave them out!
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 735

:| 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,085
    edited 13 June
    Hostafan1 said:

I will take it as read (vomit) but I quite like  the colour of the lilac? roses that are spelled "blue" :D :blush:

It is very annoying, I was making a blue, yellow and  white flower bed, but ended up with purple things due to descriptions not being accurate.

But some people are a bit colour blind, there are different degrees and some mix or cannot differentiate between blue and purple spectrum. It is not just red/green colour blindness

So I don't know if it is laziness or misconceptions.
    Men  have a larger percentage of colour blindness problems than women, so who is responsible for descriptively labeling all the plants :)

Edit. Sorry Tin Pot I was not paying attention, just tv presenters? The programme people should make sure it is accurate as possible you are quite right to be annoyed.
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 735
    Rubytoo said:
    Hostafan1 said:

I will take it as read (vomit) but I quite like  the colour of the lilac? roses that are spelled "blue" :D :blush:

It is very annoying, I was making a blue, yellow and  white flower bed, but ended up with purple things due to descriptions not being accurate.

But some people are a bit colour blind, there are different degrees and some mix or cannot differentiate between blue and purple spectrum. It is not just red/green colour blindness

So I don't know if it is laziness or misconceptions.
    Men  have a larger percentage of colour blindness problems than women, so who is responsible for descriptively labeling all the plants :)

Edit. Sorry Tin Pot I was not paying attention, just tv presenters? The programme people should make sure it is accurate as possible you are quite right to be annoyed.
    I’m only experiencing it on tv at the moment, it’s even worse if people are selling purple as blue!

😂
  • OmoriOmori Posts: 60
    I recently purchased Aubrieta Kitte Blue...very clearly purple, but it seems if it is at all leaning towards the blue spectrum, it gets called blue.  Probably because blue is more rare 🙄 In my case I knew it was purple from looking at photos, but still a misleading name.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,068
    Call me cynical, but I've learned never to believe the photographs in a plant catalogue, whether it's on paper or online.  I don't believe the size, or the colour, or the quantity of flowers or fruit, or the smell or flavour they describe.  They breed specially-stunted children to photograph beside the "giant" plants and the "dinner-plate" flowers.