Contemporary fencing - what wood is used?

I would really like to create a cedar horizontal batten fence, but find that the battens are prohibitively expensive. I was thinking of using similar wood to that on the style of fencing on the attached picture. Does anyone know what it is? 

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 539
    edited 12 June
    That looks like pine rather than ash.  Treated, so will last several years but it’s a softwood so won’t get an enormous lifespan out of it and will need maintaining.   Look around for sustainable hardwood, like ash or chestnut. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,358
    You could always ring them up and ask them.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,423
    Yes, the product details say it's pressure treated softwood, as @Helix suggests.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • dfdonelandfdonelan Posts: 6
    Thank you. I'll see what pressure treated softwood options are around, as they should be cheaper than hardwood. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,322
    I used roofing battens for my screen. They're readily available and do the job well. Inexpensive as well.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 1,044
    edited 13 June
    Like Fairygirl I use roofing battens in fact I made the trellis that goes around our garden over 20 years ago and it's still there. B&Q is where I bought mine from 

Roof battens (T)19mm (W)38mm (L)3000mm Pack of 10

I should have added you can paint over it so the red/pinks doesn't show.
  • dfdonelandfdonelan Posts: 6
    Thank you fairygirl & NannaBoo. I'd be really interested to see any photos you have of the finished product. My only concerns would be the rough appearance of the roof battens and also how 'straight' they are. 

dfdonelan You could sand them down which is what I did. As for a photo the are now covered in Honeysuckle and Roses otherwise I'd take a photo. I'm going to buy another pack once this weather is better as we want to screen off part of the garden and will use it to grown runner beans up next year.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,322
    They're pretty true in my experience. I used the narrow ones for trellis, and slightly wider ones for my screen. Think they're 50mmx20mm

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

That's lovely Fairygirl, you've given me an idea as I didn't want squares.