Bare root plants storage

LucidLucid Posts: 306
Hi everyone,

I received in the post last night some bare root plants. I was planning to get them planted today but it has been extremely wet and the soil in the beds is probably not the best conditions for them as it's very wet and lumpy right now. They were received with wet newspaper around the roots, which is still wet, and are in tied plastic bags. Please can I check if this is a safe way to leave them until tomorrow morning or is there a better way to store them until I can plant?

Just in case it's plant dependent they are:

Lychnis flos-cuculi (Ragged robin) 
Silene dioica (Campion) 
Primula vulgaris 

Thanks for any advice. Lucid :)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,767
    They'll be fine  :)
    The damp paper is just to stop the roots drying out, as they're susceptible to that while in transit with no compost/soil round them. 
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• LucidLucid Posts: 306
    Thanks @Fairygirl, that's put my mind at rest before work. I braved planting out my new pond plants in the rain, but the ground is so wet and muddy at the moment I think I'd do more harm than good trying to plant the above out today. Fingers crossed for not so much rain tomorrow!

Lucid :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,767
    Yes, if the ground's really soggy, and plants are small, they're a bit vulnerable. 

You can always chuck them in a pot with some compost over them too. They'd be fine that way for ages.  :)
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• LucidLucid Posts: 306
    Thanks @Fairygirl, I'll do that if it's still not so good tomorrow. :)