Forum home Tools and techniques

Pruning Amelanchier

I've had several multistem Amelanchiers planted in a client's garden. They're good stock but I would like to open them up and remove crossing branches, by pruning out some branches (probably 2.5-3cm diameter) to ground level. Should I wait until autumn or would it be okay to do it now? It would improve their appearance drastically. 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,508
    To be honest I don't really know the 'correct' answer - but I've just lopped some branches off a couple of my amelanchiers because they were getting out of shape.

I often reshape or prune shrubs whenever I notice they need some attention. Otherwise I would forget to do it at the 'right' time - they never seem to come to much harm.

I think it was Christopher Lloyd who said that the right time to prune a shrub is when you notice it needs doing and you're in the mood and happen to have a pair of secateurs in your hand. That is pretty much the way I do it too and I've not killed anything yet.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 29,989
    I've usually done as Mr Lloyd suggest too  ;)

Amelanchiers are pretty forgiving, in my experience
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,305
    Thanks. I have pruned my own just after flowering to no ill effects, but the landscape contractor is telling me it would be better to wait. But I want the plants looking good *now*!
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,305
    In fact I'm going to take secateurs and a pruning saw with me next time I visit site and do it myself, much easier than trying to explain how I want them to do it!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,348
    The fat wood-pigeons pruned a couple of branches off mine this year, perching on the finer branches to get at the blossom ... I’ve had to beaten up their work of course, but the tree seems none the worse for it. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,897
    edited June 2019
    Fairygirl said:
    I've usually done as Mr Lloyd suggest too  ;)

Amelanchiers are pretty forgiving, in my experience
    I also prune mine whenever it looks like it needs it,usually when a branch has poked me in the eye!!
    Also do other shrubs the same way.

p.s. Went to Mr.Lloyds garden at Great Dixter last week and it was absolutely glorious  <3
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,540
    The fat wood-pigeons pruned a couple of branches off mine this year, perching on the finer branches to get at the blossom ... I’ve had to beaten up their work of course, but the tree seems none the worse for it. 
    Wot! You train pigeons to prune your trees? Wonder what the RSPB has to say about it.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,348
    You forget ... they’re my rellies 😉 

Dove 🕊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh