Forum home The potting shed

I would like to live in Monty Dons garden!!!!!🌿

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 11,940
    I'm hoping to go to Barnsdale soon. We went last year and loved it.

I believe Monty's garden is about 2 acres and is very close to a river which floods occasionally. I don't think I would like his soil or Herefordshire in the winter, too cold and claggy for me. Has anybody ever seen his wife?
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,299
    Yes, apparently it's about two acres. Sarah Don is on the cover of at least a couple of his / their books, and there are photos in several (depending on how relevant, obvs). I've never seen her in the flesh though.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,299
    I'd love to go to Barnsdale too. Geoff Hamilton was the GW presenter when I first got interested in gardening (and was a big influence - hence me never having used peat etc) so those gardens would feel like home, I think.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • HelixHelix Posts: 631
    His soil may be cold and claggy, but I am filled with envy every time he plants anything and just does it with a trowel or spade in 5 seconds.  For us it’s more a pickaxe job.  
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,152
    I'd rather have Carol Klein's garden than Monty's. Better climate and more naturalistic planting from what I can see. I'd still want Monty's stuff to go in it though. Monty's climate can't be much worse than here but it is very restricting on what can be grown. Cold and wet doesn't inspire you to get out and garden some days either.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Dollystocks8Dollystocks8 Posts: 196
    I suppose every garden, large small planters or windowboxes have their challenges.
    Wonder if that's what intrigues us all, trying to solve mini issues and moving plants around like a horticultural chess board🤔🌱
  • Dollystocks8Dollystocks8 Posts: 196
    Does anyone remember MONTY DON jewellery?
  • SheleenSheleen Posts: 51
    Helix said:
    His soil may be cold and claggy, but I am filled with envy every time he plants anything and just does it with a trowel or spade in 5 seconds.  For us it’s more a pickaxe job.  
    Same here! I think it's worse being an end-of-terrace as everything was thrown into my garden and buried when the house were built.... concrete, stones, rubble... not as bad as the previous house I lived in though, where digging the garden turned up an old car frame (pre-1940's), several bicycles and too many pigs skulls to count! My garden now has stony yet clay-filled soil. I'm sure I could dig up earth from my garden and make a clay pot!
    As for Monty's garden... I'd like it... but not the work that has to go into it. I'd rather keep my wee little garden with it's pretty weeds and overgrown trees lol
  • SheleenSheleen Posts: 51
    Does anyone remember MONTY DON jewellery?
    Wasn't it beautiful? I did nearly ruin him though... and apparently the Victoria & Albert museum still has some of his designs/pieces? Maybe a tad old-fashioned looking back - but I'm all for those statement pieces of little bouquets of flower-shaped jewels to hold my scarf on. Bet it's expensive to buy now though?
  • B3B3 Posts: 26,954
    I had a look . Most of the jewellery would appeal to my mum. It is quite nice in an old-fashioned way but I find these 'maggots ' disturbing and I'm having trouble unseeing them

In London. Keen but lazy.