Terrified to prune philadelphus

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,110
    Imagine that the bulk of the plant is beyond the left hand side of this photo.

Outward facing buds face outwards, away from the centre of the plant.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • theluciblacktheluciblack GuildfordPosts: 38
    Joy* said:
    Outward facing buds..... If you look at a branch there will be little buds which eventually will grow to make more branches.You need to trim the branch just above where the buds face away from the plant (outwards) so that new growth grows into the space around it. The inward facing buds will just make the plant congested. Plants should normally have an open shape so usually you prune to outward buds. Some plants such as Roses produce buds where the leaf joins the stem. My Philadelphus is putting on new growth where the stems are bare. I hope that this helps and is not too confusing. Perhaps if you Google outward facing buds there might be some pictures to explain it better! If your plant is only 2 years old and isn't too big, I would be tempted to leave it to itself this year.
    Aha!! Thanks so much! It’s about 4 feet high. I googled. I get it 🙂👍🏻
    pansyface said:
    Imagine that the bulk of the plant is beyond the left hand side of this photo.

Outward facing buds face outwards, away from the centre of the plant.

Omg that’s amazing!! Thank you!! 🙂❤️
    Thank you so much everyone! I feel like I can do this!! 💪🏻
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 377

Is yours about the same size as this @theluciblack

Mine only seems to have one solitary flower at the moment.  You can just see it in the photo.  To add insult to injury it is tucked away where you can hardly see it!

i did lightly prune last year right after flowering.  Personally I wonder whether it might be better to leave unpruned for a few years when they are this size.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sow any new seeds of doubt 😁

Not at all Racine! No mine is bigger I think. 5 flowers, all on one tiny branch at the bottom 🙄
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,598

Is yours about the same size as this @theluciblack

Mine only seems to have one solitary flower at the moment.  You can just see it in the photo.  To add insult to injury it is tucked away where you can hardly see it!

i did lightly prune last year right after flowering.  Personally I wonder whether it might be better to leave unpruned for a few years when they are this size.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sow any new seeds of doubt 😁

Your instinct is right 👍  ... leave this unpruned and allow it to grow for a few years ... shrubs don’t have to be pruned.

In a few years when your shrub is much bigger you may want to remove some shoots right from the base of the plant to thin it out a bit and stop it getting congested ... but for now I’d just let it grow. 😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 514
    Sorry to bob in, but may I ask, if my Philadelphus (approx 15 years old) is very 'lollypoppy' (all leafy on top) with nothing happening lower down, should I cut it right down after flowering (which it doesn't do a lot of?) t i a   
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,598
    @Meomye could you post a photo of your philadelphus then we can suggest options 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,926
    I think racine's is a different variety. It looks like it could be Manteau d'hermine, which is a much smaller, bushier variety with small double flowers,and brighter foliage. I just tip back the flowering stems a little after flowering, and cut back ones which are in the wrong place.
    Lovely when they get going  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....