Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plastic garden, plastic soul

13»

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543
    josusa47 said:
    While I sympathise with the boy and his bees, I can't help wondering why they felt the need to keep industrial-strength wasp killer in the house ....  sometimes what goes around comes around.
    It may be because wasps can be a problem around bees.
    Maybe a bee keeper could clarify?
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    Can insecticides really be that selective?  Many of us abstain from using insecticides because we don't want to harm the helpful insects.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543
    josusa47 said:
    Can insecticides really be that selective?  Many of us abstain from using insecticides because we don't want to harm the helpful insects.
    I don't think bee keepers would use a wasp killer willy-nilly so presumably they know what they are doing.
    Would like to hear from a bee keeper if any are around  :smile:
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Posts: 1,089
    @josusa47 I don't think they can as far as I remember most of the fly, wasp, insect sprays contain a chemical that interferes with there nervous system and renders them unable to fly and presumably stops them breathing bit like a nerve gas on humans, not the most pleasant way to die.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog