Questions about lemon grass

HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 230
Looking for advice on growing lemon grass. I find it's hard to get the nitty gritty details about it online.
I am growing it in a 2 gallon pot, mulched it with a little sawdust. Do I need to pot it up at some point, or is this an ok size? 4 months for it to mature, but it's just a single stalk, can I expect it to spread itself within the pot, or just seed? Do I keep it damp, or let it dry out between watering? Any other advice or tips?
It has grown since i purchased the single stalk no more than 4 inches tall. Yellowing tips due to sunburn, or over-watering?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,561
    I don't think it needs to be in that big a pot. My friend grew some last year, starting from a small bought  7cm pot, potted it into a 15cm pot of gritty compost, and by the end of the season last summer it filled the pot and was 45cm high.  Water regularly with a high nitrogen feed (nettle feed will do), and let it drain.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 230
    @fidgetbones Thank you
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 539
    edited 12 June
    Sometimes if you pot something on into a large pot it spends the next few months growing roots, not leaf.    But it’s there now so leave it be.

My lemon grass is tiny compared to yours, but now starting to grow. It’s a tropical asian plant, so I’ve decided to keep it damp (not drenched) and sit it on a tray of gravel to keep the humidity up.  I've not grown it before so this is all guesswork! 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,127
    I'm trying it too this year but have only got as far as putting stems in a jar of water to see if they'll grow roots.   After that, they'll be moved on to a pot which will live in the polytunnel and be forst free but can come outside in very warm spells.  I found this info which might help you too.

https://www.groww.fr/en/plants/lemon-grass 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,302
    lemon grass produce huge amounts of roots. They're used to stabilise the tops of steep soil banks when they cut into hillsides in Asia for tea plantations / roads etc. 
    My guess is that it's slowly filling that pot with roots.
    Devon.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 603
    I've had mine for several years now, they were originally lemongrass stalks from the supermarket. it will spread to fill that pot, it will probably take it a couple of years to do so I repot mine each year splitting the plant in half and then putting back into the same pot. I keep them outside from June through to September, and the one year I had one in the greenhouse it loved it, but they do ok outside against a south facing wall here.
    @Skandi Perfect! Thank you.
    For some reason the site skipped others comments, just got the notifications now- Thank you everyone~ <3
  • andrewshazelandrewshazel Posts: 13
    edited 20 June
    I’ve grown lemongrass from seed before. I grew loads of seed in a pot so it filled it up like grass. In the autumn I dried out the small plants and used the the whole plant sections in cooking. I used them as dried herbs and it worked well.