Medium evergreen tree for front garden

KLKL Posts: 53
Hi, I’m new to the forum so this is my first post. I’m looking for a nice colourful evergreen tree (if such a tree exists) for my front garden to give me some screening at the front of my house. Can anyone give me some help please. I would like to buy something initially around the 3m height.

thanks

Paul 

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 504
    edited June 2019
    Hi Paul,

What is your soil like and what exposure is your plot?
    If it's evergreen you're after, you could also consider a large bush, like an evergreen viburnum tinus (very hardy, low maintenance and has flowers in winter followed by berries) which could then act as foil through which you could train a clematis, for example.
    Fatsias also come in evergreen forms and grow to about 3-4m.

It does also depend on what you like the look of! Personally, I love hollies and there are smaller, self fertile varieties that can suit a smaller front garden, plus you'd have the benefit of berries for the birds.

🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414
    If you’re sure you want evergreen my best suggestion is a variegated holly, clipped into a cone shape. 

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/10-hollies-to-grow/

Large ones don’t come cheap tho’ https://www.gardenplantsonline.co.uk/product/topiary-trees/cone/ilex-aquifolium-variegatum-variegated-english-holly-cone-2/

By the way I don’t know the above supplier so can’t recommend them ... I’m just using them as an
    illustration. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149
    Three metres tall isn’t going to be cheap and, if it’s three metres tall now at year zero, how tall do you want/expect its finished height to be?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KLKL Posts: 53
    Hi, thanks for your replies. Firstly I’m going to  attach a couple of pictures to give you a better understanding of where the tree would be sited. It would be in the area of the flowers at the vans front wheel at the grass side. I had a small birch tree here that was there when I moved in but some vandals broke it in half so I removed the left over part. My hope is that I can plant something that will screen my living room window from the houses opposite. The bottom picture is taken from my living room window and the other picture from the bedroom above. The bottom picture gives the best idea of height required for privacy. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149
    edited June 2019
    Vandals, eh?

In which case, I would recommend a Mahonia japonica as “a bodyguard” companion for your tree while it’s still young.

Mahonia - evergreen, prickles, scented winter flowers, berries for the birds. Guaranteed to give any potential vandal a quick lesson in botany.🤕😁

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahonia_japonica

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Haha, I like your thinking, I will have a look later when free.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,981
    I can't believe I'm suggesting this because I'm such a snob, but have you considered Photinia 'Red Robin'? It's evergreen, colourful and about the right height. You can get it as a large bush and gradually remove small twiggy branches from lower down to reveal the main stems and turn it into a multi-stem 'tree'.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,981
    For example something like this would give immediate impact (except it's root balled for autumn planting, pre-order only) 
    https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Photinia-Red-Robin-Photinia-x-fraseri-Red-Robin-200-225cm-Root-ball.html
    Hi Will, I do like the photinia but was planning on replacing the front hedge with this so looking for something different as a main tree but won’t rule it out..
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,325
    Cotoneasters will do well in a number of soil conditions and aspects. Cotoneaster Lacteus size wise will be ideal in that spot. Early summer flowers and autumn berries, a good all-rounder for a front garden.