Disease of crab apple leaves

FireFire LondonPosts: 5,372
edited 11 June in Problem solving
I put in some crab apple hedging last year and this spring one tree developed this leaf blotch. It's inside the leaf; the surface of the leaf is totally smooth front and back - no bumps or roughness or evidence of insects at work, nothing comes off on my fingers like a mould / rust. The tree itself looks healthy and well, apart form the blotching.

Any thoughts? Many thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,928
    My best guess would be that it got a bit drier than the others at some point (dodgy bit of soil there?) and/or a nutrient deficiency.  Try giving that one a spray once a week with a liquid feed which contains trace elements such as a seaweed feed, and see if new leaves look any better when they emerge.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,372
    Thanks Bob. I put on load of manure on in March, so it should be ok. It might have got too dry, despite my best efforts. How long would you say you have to keep regularly watering in trees?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,928
    You need to keep an eye on trees for at least the first year, really, giving them a good soak once a week if it hasn't rained.  The older they are when planted, the longer it takes them to establish a good root system. 
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,372
    Mine are going on for two but they seem like toddlers.