Ideas required

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,924
    Alpines.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,441
    Oh!  Sorry, have no idea what would survive in Norway, this site is mainly for UK gardeners.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,789
    That does rather change things  :)
    I can't speak for everyone, but this being a UK forum means our knowledge of Norwegian gardening is probably somewhat limited. I did have a search online and found this
    http://www.hageselskapet.no/landets-storste-hagemagasin/
    I haven't looked at it with the aid of Google translate, but see if it's of any help. 
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 776
    I’d stick an obelisk and put a clematis Montana. Or as suggested by someone else, some large grasses or an ornamental tree.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,937
    Not sure you can grow roses in Norway so that suggestion is out! Sorry! 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Hazel-1Hazel-1 Posts: 2,232
    Kitty 2 said:
    .....with some horticultural grit round the alpines. They will suppress any weeds and won’t need hoeing etc. Would look nice and neat and tidy. 
    North East
  • Phil366Phil366 Posts: 3
    Thank for the tips I’ll do my research on alpines. Roses grow amazingly here, we have a huge rose bush out of sight in the pictures. Having lived in Manchester for 27 years I can confirm the Norwegian climate isn’t too dissimilar however we do have harsher winters. The soil is amazing as well. I’d consider growing berries but the birds already beat me to the cherry trees, seems a waste.
  • we11ingtonwe11ington Posts: 28
    That bed under the washing line is screaming "LAVENDER" at me. also make some of it your herb garden.. .. Mint, Parsley, Thyme, sage... smells great and is very low maintenance 
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 380
    For low maintenance, I would plant it with drought-tolerant spreading/mound forming perennials. It could be alpines or herbs in the front but I would also look into some taller plants for the back (google a list of drought-tolerant plants and choose what you like).
    Ornamental grasses would be also good, you could do some of those moder combinations like grasses and verbena bonariensis or  grasses with achillea.