No Bees but plenty od flies!

• Plot75Plot75 SurreyPosts: 54
    gary 803 said:
    Thanks for all your help yes got some lavender must have a look for some more or similar, our clouds have gone here btw! Maybe get a bigger fly trap!

"Oh Seymour"...…….cue the song...."I suddenly see more.."
    Mix 2tbsp of white,granulated sugar with 1tbsp of water and place on a spoon for a Bee to reach. Sometimes they're too exhausted to reach back to the hives when it's hot and dry. 
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 540
    Flies like a warm place to be, especially if the air is still.
  • gary 803gary 803 Posts: 40
    It's bees I want not flies!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,552
    Grow some hardy salvias ... bees love them 
    https://www.crocus.co.uk/search/_/search.hardy-salvias/
    🐝 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,936
    @lyn, you weren't the only one who couldn't see them at first glance !
    Re: the flies, you could try basil in a pot, likes a sunny position and flies don't like it.
    As for attracting bees, l agree with Dove that shrubby salvias will bring the furry little critters in.
    Basil in a pot like the ones you put on the window ledge in your kitchen?

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 790
    They're ugly but those sticky things might reduce the numbers. I find that some plants seem to attract them, like euphorbias. I hear they don't like mint. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,936
    Yes that's right Gary. If you buy one from the supermarket, don't put it straight outside as it would be too much of a shock to it. Put it out during the day then bring it in at night for a week or so, just to harden it off a bit. Even though we aren't getting frost any more, they aren't used to cooler temperatures. If it stays cold and wet, keep it indoors (you can use it for cooking in the meantime). If you like, you can grow from seed, or you might be able to buy one in the garden centre, they would be a bit tougher than the supermarket ones.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,038
    Zooming-in, those look like green bottles: "The female lays her eggs in meat, fish, animal corpses, infected wounds of humans or animals, and excrement."  Any animal poo nearby (cat poo in flower beds, dog doings in neighbours gardens, for example?)  They also appear when slugs have been poisoned.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Yuk! Yeah we laid some slug pellets down and the dogs have been out today just cleared it up!