Forum home Tools and techniques

Should I or shouldn't I

I am growing veg for the first time this year and was advised to put netting over my fruit and veg. I know to keep the fruit covered or the birds will have it but what about my veg pea's, sweetcorn, cabbage, turnips, beetroot and the many other thing I'm growing. If I should keep them cover how long would you say before the netting can be removed, nothing is very tall at the moment.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 956
    I don't put netting over peas or beetroot but do net the cabbages to keep out butterflies and pigeons. I keep the net on permanently for them.
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Thanks Singing Gardener, I was not sure what to do as we have so many pigeons, Doves and Magpies here. I'll remove the netting on all but the cabbages and lettuce. Thanks again.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,317
    you have to play it by ear really, see what is being scoffed by what, I was in my veg plot a few weeks back and the sparrows were tucking into my chard, but they are only tiny, and I had plenty.  We have a lot of pigeons but I havent seen them eating anything.  All my soft fruit is under a cage hubby made, last year I got the grandkids and kids making up those windmills you get at the seaside, (bought on e bay flat pack) CDs, all over the cherry tree, birds dont take any notice of them!  We have 2 strawberry troughs, and 2 more cherry trees just outside the conservatory, they leave them alone.
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057

Nanny Beach, We have lot's of pigeons, Doves and Magpie's plus Crows. I have noticed since putting netting over everything they are no longer on the ground but all sitting along the fence but the squirrels are now running around the garden and worry they might get tangles in the netting. We also have a third pest which I only noticed last evening and that's rat's. Gardening is fun but along with the slugs and bug it a battle at times. I like the idea of the children's windmills, think I might have to make so the reflective one's would be good. We have rigged up something to protect our fruit, we thought it was strong but the wind and heavy rain has shown we need something stronger so after the greenhouse is built I'll set to and build a cage.