Forum home The potting shed

The 'Like' button: Have your say

• Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 467
    edited June 2019
    So there are two options with the vote “keep it”, and only one with “it’s got to go”.
    I realise, the editors don’t have to have studied statistics or mathematics or, indeed, psychology. But seriously, Two options for Yes and one for No???
    Why not one each?

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,286
    Manipulative ... deceitful ...? Credit Daniel with enough wisdom to come to a balanced judgement.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,274
    Don’t think it’s so much ‘two for yes’, as one for yes and one for no and one for ‘Really?  I just can’t be fussed to argue about it ... I’ve got gardening to do’  🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,286
  • OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 529
    The third option is to properly gauge how people feel about it, as there is a segment of people who won't be using the like button but don't care if other people want to use it.  Should those people not get a say?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,189
    "I don't particularly care either way but the forum was just fine without it, so let it go" would be my choice, but that isn't an option.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,894
    We switched it on for a limited period because people had been discussing it, it was a simple matter of activating the feature (and it's equally simple to switch it off) and we thought it worth running a trial.

Is that all the feature does or can you customise it to allow notifications?
  • Daniel HaynesDaniel Haynes Posts: 385 admin
    edited June 2019
    I've submitted a request to check that, wild edges, as I don't know. Will update when I hear back.

Update: Have heard back that the 'Like' function isn't attached to the notification service, so it isn't something that is likely to happen in the near future.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,843
    Is that all the feature does or can you customise it to allow notifications?
    One step at a time, I should think. If we're keeping it, then we can argue about how it works?

@JennyJ It would be impossible to summarise the multiple nuances of opinion into a poll of less that 5 pages.
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
This discussion has been closed.