Forum home Fruit & veg

Greengage Tree

modcowdesignmodcowdesign WandsworthPosts: 8
I have a 10 year old Greengage tree which has produced fruit for at least the last three years. This year the tree went into full bloom (April) and then nothing, no leaves have appeared. I can see the buds where the leaves should have come from. I have scratched the surface of the bark and the wood is green underneath. Any ideas if the tree is worth keeping until next year?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,988
    Perhaps the winter was insufficiently cold and the tree did not receive the necessary stimulus to emerge from dormancy in the spring.

See here

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,268
    I think a lot of trees are still suffering from the effects of the drought last year which has been  followed by a very dry winter and spring. It might be that your tree’s roots simply can’t access enough moisture to produce fruit. Try digging a hole 18” deep in your garden ... if the soil is dry down there the trees in your garden, especially any fruit trees, need a great deal of water. Gallons and gallons of it over the next few weeks. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh