Show me your Gabions!

FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 107
I’m thinking of using gabions to create a retaining wall and some steps for a fairly steep slope at the back of my garden.  I’ll probably do the work in October so as not to upset the bugs currently enjoying the weeds wildflowers on the bank at the moment.

So i’ve got some time to plan and would love some inspiration if you have got creative with the Gabions, or any tips for using them!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,371
    None here and no plans for any but they can be used formally as separators, seats, retaining walls, insect hotels........

Have a look here for some ideas - https://www.pinterest.fr/stonewarehouse/gabion-baskets-for-gardens/ 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 107
    Thanks, some good inspiration there!  

I was was thinking of anchoring posts/poles in them to support bird/insect houses, will see if there’s any examples of that.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,332
    How high will you be retaining? I recently saw a 2 metre high gabion wall fail due to a slight movement in the top cages that burst a lot of the welds on the lower cages. The moral being get your base solid before starting on the cages and the cheapest cages aren't always the best economy. The thinner the wire the worse they look as they're more likely to bulge and rust. If you're going for a look that will be on display go for a heavy-duty wire which will stay nice and straight, and work out your planting pockets well in advance if you're using them.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 107
    Thanks that’s really useful.  Probably about a metre, maybe up to 1.5, no more than that definitely.  I will put some steps in too which i’m Hoping will help to keep it stable and secure?
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,046
    https://www.gabionbaskets.co.uk/ has lots of useful info. I found the site when doing a bit of research on gabions. I intend to build a small retaining wall with 1 metre tall gabions filled with stone from the garden. It will hopefully hold back a slope which was threatening to engulf my garage.