Forum home Fruit & veg

Raspberries

Plot75Plot75 SurreyPosts: 69
I bought a couple of Raspberry canes named 'Malling promise' roots wrapped in a bag with a wooden stick poking out. Looked dead to me. Planted it anyway so we shall see what happens next year. However, do they ever die when purchased like this and have I just planted a dead stick? I made sure I soaked the root ball for over an hour and planted with some Fish, blood and bone in the soil. What are the care instructions for these (as none came with plant) and what do I need to do to ensure a good start for next years fruit?
Thank you in advance. 
Mix 2tbsp of white,granulated sugar with 1tbsp of water and place on a spoon for a Bee to reach. Sometimes they're too exhausted to reach back to the hives when it's hot and dry. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,900
    When did you buy it? Has it started growing yet? Any green shoots at all?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Plot75Plot75 SurreyPosts: 69
    I purchased around March and planted mid May. No green at all. Just brown sticks. 
    Mix 2tbsp of white,granulated sugar with 1tbsp of water and place on a spoon for a Bee to reach. Sometimes they're too exhausted to reach back to the hives when it's hot and dry. 
    When did you buy it? Has it started growing yet? Any green shoots at all?
    I purchased around March and planted mid May. No green at all. Just brown sticks. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Mine have flowered and are busy fattening fruit, so it sounds as though you've been sold a dead 'un.  I wonder where you bought it?  This can happen if you buy from Poundshops and supermarkets because their staff haven't much of a clue about caring for growing plants.  Try again next year with plants bought from a reputable grower.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    What did you do with it between March & May?  Did you keep it damp in a cool environment with some light?  As it could have tried to burst into growth but then died because not enough water, light, or air. 
    josusa47 said:
    Mine have flowered and are busy fattening fruit, so it sounds as though you've been sold a dead 'un.  I wonder where you bought it?  This can happen if you buy from Poundshops and supermarkets because their staff haven't much of a clue about caring for growing plants.  Try again next year with plants bought from a reputable grower.
    Thanks Josua, is it too late to grow the autumn variety now or if I plant one that's quite established from a GC?
    Helix said:
    What did you do with it between March & May?  Did you keep it damp in a cool environment with some light?  As it could have tried to burst into growth but then died because not enough water, light, or air. 
    That could be it, I kept it in the shed (with window)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,471
    Bare root plants need planting as soon as you get them, in pots if the ground is too cold and wet.  Soaking the roots to rehydrate them is good practice but leaving them till May is a death sentence.

It's OK to plant new canes now as you will be buying them potted up and growing.  Soak the pot and compost first to make sure there are no air pockets and then plant at the same depth.

The RHS website is helpful - scroll down for planting, feeding and pruning care.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/raspberries 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx said:
    Bare root plants need planting as soon as you get them, in pots if the ground is too cold and wet.  Soaking the roots to rehydrate them is good practice but leaving them till May is a death sentence.

It's OK to plant new canes now as you will be buying them potted up and growing.  Soak the pot and compost first to make sure there are no air pockets and then plant at the same depth.

The RHS website is helpful - scroll down for planting, feeding and pruning care.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/raspberries 

Thank you! I'll head out and grab one.