Help with seedlings

Hi, was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm a total novice gardener and decided this year I'd try growing some veg and foxgloves. I sowed the seeds around the 15th of April in a little propogator from home bargains that had a lid on. Today I transplanted them to bigger cell trays and they're just so limp! They started out fine but its as if the propogator has forced them to grow across instead of up? I've just watered them with a seaweed solution but I'm not sure what much else I can do. Any help would be much appreciated please. 
CabbageFoxgloveOnion (althought I'm not sure what the one on the far bottom left is, I know its not onion but it grew from the onion seeds, so if anyone has any idea what that is?) Carrot

Thanks in advance, I really hope I can save the poor things. 

• Hi, do you have holes in the bottom of your seedling trays and these bigger cells?? How much do you water them? 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,561
    They look like they have had too much heat and not enough light. If you can, get them outdoors. If you have a plot of soil outside, I would start again.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hi, do you have holes in the bottom of your seedling trays and these bigger cells?? How much do you water them? 
    Yes they both have holes in the bottom and I was misting the compost with a spray bottle daily, sometimes every other day. 
  • They look like they have had too much heat and not enough light. If you can, get them outdoors. If you have a plot of soil outside, I would start again.
    Ok thank you, i was going to start hardening them off from today. I know I probably should've started earlier. 

Wouldnt it be too late to totally start again? 
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 933
    The foxgloves look as if they will survive, but get them into the light and introduce them to outside as soon as you feel they can cope. I am afraid I am no help on the vegetables except to say they don't look very well.
    SW Scotland
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,131
    Foxgloves, carrots and onions don’t want to be grown in a propagator,  you won’t be able to transplant the carrots into your beds, they are best sown directly into the ground,  
     Put the foxgloves outside, don’t water them until they are dryer, they look very wet, keep them under cover for a while so they don’t get rained on. 
    The 4 onions you can plant out now. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Yes they both have holes in the bottom and I was misting the compost with a spray bottle daily, sometimes every other day. 
    Ok, doesn't sound like you're over-watering but too much moisture is usually and may still be the case. What kind of compost did you use? Was it normal potting compost or a looser one for seedlings? 

As fidgetbones has said, it may also be too much heat, but they seem like they're getting enough light, as they're flopping all over the shop, not towards the gaps in the blinds etc. Are they near a radiator? 
  • Lyn said:
    Foxgloves, carrots and onions don’t want to be grown in a propagator,  you won’t be able to transplant the carrots into your beds, they are best sown directly into the ground,  
     Put the foxgloves outside, don’t water them until they are dryer, they look very wet, keep them under cover for a while so they don’t get rained on. 
    The 4 onions you can plant out now. 
    Thank you! So the carrots cant be saved? 

When you say put the foxgloves outside do you mean plant them out or just get the tray outside? Would covering them with a plastic container with some holes in be ok? Should I start with them out in the shade and slowly move them towards full sun? 
    Ok, doesn't sound like you're over-watering but too much moisture is usually and may still be the case. What kind of compost did you use? Was it normal potting compost or a looser one for seedlings? 

As fidgetbones has said, it may also be too much heat, but they seem like they're getting enough light, as they're flopping all over the shop, not towards the gaps in the blinds etc. Are they near a radiator? 
    It was just multi purpose compost! 

Well I usually have the blinds around them so they're actually in the window, which is east facing. Nope no radiator but they're in my conservatory which can get quite hot if the weather is warm! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,322
    Hi Cassie - did you leave the lid on after the seeds had germinated?
    Leaving it on creates a lot of humidity and makes seedlings flop too.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....