Forum home Fruit & veg

Any more pests?

It seems the only thingS doing well are peas (although I haven’t opened the pods yet!), spuds, tomatoes/chillies and salad leaves!

Cabbage aren’t hearting, turnip got cabbage root fly, beetroot aren’t happy and hit by leaf miner and have stopped growing, I’ve just found allium leaf miner in the garlic and onions and broad beans are head to foot black fly... getting a bit fed up and guess I just have to grow under mesh from now on! 😡

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,077
    edited June 2019
    You need more predators, especially birds, Flinster! ;)
    Been too dry for most brassicas - can't keep up with their water requirements if it doesn't rain here.  Consequently, my early broccoli are very early, with small primary heads so have had to cut those off and eat them.  Very nice though! :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,911
    Look on the bright side. You're doing your bit for biodiversity😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 878
    I’ve got birds coming out of my ears, ladybirds galore and a wildlife pond.... I’ve sworn a bit this morning! 😬
    Its all new soil too... at least it was... screwed now! 😫 

hey ho... nothing a gin and tonic won’t fix I dare say... onward and upward! 😀
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,911

There was an Old Man with a beard,
     Who said, 'It is just as I feared!
     Two Owls and a Hen,
     Four Larks and a Wren,
     Have all built their nests in my beard!'

In London. Keen but lazy.
    😂
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,833
    @Flinster. Sorry to hear about your disaster but don’t give up, this veg growing is not as easy as they make it sound on the gardening programs.
    ok for Monty to say just pop some seeds in and you can feed your family for a year, it really isn’t so simple.
    Try to grow the things that do grow well for you,  that will give you encouragement to grown other stuff,  I don’t grow so much now, but runner beans, tomatoes and raspberries are all good here, beetroots and radishes don’t grow for me and I can’t be bothered with using up a big piece of land on potatoes when I can buy enough for the week for 50p.  
    Dont be disheartened , we all have problems of one kind or another, my leeks look pretty useless so far, they may pick up if it ever warms up here. 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks Lyn. Just the icing on the cake today....

I just popped a few pea pods and enjoyed some baby peas... not a maggot in sight.. so far lol! 😀

interestingly my little spring onions have done done well and the one row of leeks looks ok, although they are only at transplant size really so who knows, they are in a different bed..and at least I know to grow under mesh.

Ive just been watching the sparrows in the raspberry canes and wondered why they can’t hope across to the next bed and sort out my broad beans! It struck me that the beans are in a block rather than a row, which makes it harder for the birds.. note to self. I did notice lots of ladybird eggs on the bean leaves so fingers crossed they will impact a little given time..
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,833
    Good, all is not lost then🙂
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Indeed, first flowers on the Charlotte spuds are open.. I can’t help myself with spuds.. it’s the anticipation of how many/how big lol! Not long to wait now....😬