Forum home Wildlife gardening

Fat round bees with white bums

B3B3 Posts: 12,602
edited June 2019 in Wildlife gardening
Are they bumble bees?
There seems to be an awful lot of them in my garden. I didn't think they were so sociable.

this is the best picture I could manage.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• B3B3 Posts: 12,602
    Too many to name at the moment but I love the bombus bit💣
    Are they wild bees? @Muddle-Up
    The ventral view looks like he has a Halloween mask on!
    Will read link properly later.  thanks @Muddle-Up
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,717
    It's a bee and it has a white-ish tail. That's about all you can tell from that pic sorry. There's a few bumblebees that fit the MO but also a few cuckoo bees that closely mimic the bumblebees. For a better ID you need top and side pics of the stripe pattern and a good closeup of the rear legs. Then you might also need a close up of the face from the front and to be really certain you might have to resort to DNA testing. The white tailed bees are a tricky bunch.
    That's him😱
    @wild edges. They're bees. I'm not impolite enough to enquire into the  family history of my guests but I would be interested to know whether they were likely to be farmed or someone locally has a hive.
    They're likely to be wild but a few bumblebees (assuming it is a bumblebee) are farmed for science or pollination reasons.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,215
    Picidae said:
    @b3

we have them all over the garden every year except last year, and I believe they are indeed tree bumblebees.

Ours are loving the cotoneaster at the moment.
    Mine are particularly interested in penstemon sour grapes or anything blue. Elderberry in full blossom is being completely ignored.
    Definitely not tree bumblebees.