Forum home Fruit & veg

Potted raspberry plant not happy

Hi all. I have a few raspberry plants in pots next to each other which were all doing well. I noticed 2 weeks ago that a MASSIVE weed had got in one of the pots. I removed it and put mulch around everything to reduce it happpening again. Now the raspberry plant is going yellow :(. I’ve put fresh soil in, fed and put it in prime sun spot.... I don’t know if it’s a lost cause but there’s some fruit on it but not many leaves. I’m guessing if alll the leaves die the plant can’t photosynthesise and the fruit won’t grow?

Any hints? I water every other day. Thanks in advance. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Lots of fruiting plants can be grown in pots, but I'm not sure that raspberry is one of them - I've never heard of them being grown in pots.  I've had them in my garden for four years, and they like to spread themselves around.  They throw out underground stems and a new plant pops up some distance away, which can't happen in a pot.  Is it only the one that had the weed in it, are the others OK?  If you don't have a garden to grow them in, would bigger containers be an option?
  • How big are the containers? Again I've not heard of raspberries being overly happy in containers as mentioned above but, if the container is big enough...

Might be a simple Nitrogen deficiency as the weed might have sapped a lot of it...put some pics up and we can take a look 😊
  • Thanks both. I have 2 pots of raspberry plants...one seems very happy and the other not so much. I’ve attached all photos of the poorly one here....
  • Here is the healthy one. I don’t have the room for planting in the ground if they spread but I could upgrade them to 50cm pots. Thanks for your advice I reallly appreciate it. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,840
    They’re not happy are they,  they should be very tall by now, 6’ or more and covered with leaves. I don’t think pots are right for raspberries. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 202
    I have mine in 50cm pot and they're  very healthy happy and fruiting lots. Maybe try the bigger pot before writing them off. It can be done :) 
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    I've grown raspberries in pots no problem. Like said 50cm is a must and the variety needs to be small. Hasm't been mentioned what variety this is.

In your pic however your new growth is dying. That is pretty bad. The little green cane sprouting out the soil which leaves have turned black on the outskirts and are wilting. This is next years fruiting growth so your plant is not going to produce any new fruit next year.

Did the leaves look black before you fed it..? I knw you mention the yellow leaves, that was just a sign of a too small pot. However I feel like you have done something that has gone from yellow leaves to black leaves.

I would repot asap, be gentle on the feeding. Cut away any fruit. This plant is stressed and needs to recover - if it can.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,840
    The variety is Glen Prosen 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    glen prosen just won't do well in a pot I'm afraid. This variety should grow taller than you can reach. Not a small variety. 

Like said some raspberries can be grown in pots but not the varieties that grow 10 times bigger than the pot.