Forum home Problem solving

Droopy lavenders

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
evening all. I was just out checking for vine weevil... and noticed that my lavender bushes have really thin stems and the flowering tips seem to have drooped. It’s too late tonight to get good photos but would anyone have any idea what is happening and possible solutions?

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Has it been raining heavy for long
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
    Oh yes... heavy and hard, however the lavender is potted so the soil does not seem overly wet as the drainage is pretty good.
    Type your commentary you can see not all heads are drooping but I’m worried I’m doing something wrong.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    It looks like it has been reaching for the light in that corner - can you move it to somewhere more open and sunny?  Overfeeding can also cause growth like that, just in case that's a possibility?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Ill move the pots around and see what happens, don’t think it’s over feeding as I’m pretty useless at remembering to feed anything.
  • Lavender prefer an open sunny aspect.  It does look as if your plant has been reaching for the sun.
    Difficult to tell the size of pot from your photo but if you are unable to plant in the ground, perhaps a larger pot may help ?  Snip off the the growth that is thin and spindly ( you may lose the flowers ) but it will help the plant concentrate on sturdier growth once in the right position.
    This 
  • Plot75Plot75 SurreyPosts: 69
    It looks like it has been reaching for the light in that corner - can you move it to somewhere more open and sunny?  Overfeeding can also cause growth like that, just in case that's a possibility?
    I'm with Bob. Lavenders are normally found in warmer, sandy, hot and drier climates and don't like getting to wet or not enough sun. Good luck. 
    Mix 2tbsp of white,granulated sugar with 1tbsp of water and place on a spoon for a Bee to reach. Sometimes they're too exhausted to reach back to the hives when it's hot and dry.