Forum home Fruit & veg

Pruning plum trees

I have a 4 year old plumb tree that is starting to get quite bushy and it's about 9-10 feet tall. I looked over the guide and it advises against winter pruning, but the summer pruning says to only cut back this season's growth and avoid cutting woody material. When should I thin this tree out?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,988
    Why do you think it needs thinning out?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,389
    It does need thinning out to get air flowing through the crown. Around September time is the best, after all the summer growth but before winter chill sets in.
  • Well I went ahead and took off some of the growth today, but tried to keep it minimal. It's the first pruning in 4-5 years so I thought it really needed some internal growth removed. Here is how it turned out.
    As its early to prune you may get re growth before the end of the season, but at least now you will be able to see what may need doing. Hope your fruit crop hasn't been reduced.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,268
    I understood that all prunus should be pruned at this time of year to avoid Silverleaf infection. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think I only lost about 4 plums. The tree looks much better. I will update if there are any issues.
    End of summer after fruiting @Dovefromabove. As long as its before frosts or real cold it's ok.
    edited June 2019
    That’s interesting @purplerallim ... RHS say earlier 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=339

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

If you do it earlier you get re growth, happened to me year before last and had to go at it again. Still ended up taller than I wanted @Dovefromabove .
    edited June 2019
    You prune the regrowth back the following summer. 

It’s nothing to do with frosts ... Prunus have to be pruned in the growing season when the sap is flowing strongly and producing new growth ... this is what prevents silverleaf infection.

Pruning later when the sap isn’t flowing strongly is taking a big risk ... once your tree has silverleaf that’s it 😞