Forum home Problem solving

Weed/Climbing plants growing on my new shrubs

Hi guys,

as the title says, there are climbing plants making their way up my Pyracantha shrubs (Planted last winter). Is this bad for the pyracantha in any way? If not, ill just leave it.

I will take a picture of it in a sec if that helps.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,430
    Yes we need to see what’s happening. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    Yes - we'd need to see exactly what climbers you mean  :)

Having said that - pyracanthas can withstand most things !
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wcarlwwcarlw Posts: 22

You may need to zoom in a bit, on this occasion this one has climbed up a cane and attached itself to my shrub at the top as one of the pictures show. All the climbers are the same as this type. No idea what it is and im surprised, ive never noticed climbers in the garden before.

Actually bought a bunch of Clematis Armandii :-:smiley:

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,863
    That is bindweed and you do not want to have that on your plants at all. Unwind it from the plant and - making sure you stay clear of your cherished plants use a touch weeder on the leaves.  Do not try to pull it out as it will just grow again from any broken root. An easy way to treat it is to get a plastic lemonade bottle. Cut off the top and bottom so that you have a tube. Place that over the bindweed and add the herbicide - either the touch weeder or a spray weeder that will kill the roots. This prevents the herbicide getting onto your pyracantha. You may have to carry out this treatment a few times.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    You're scaring me !! :-( I jest (a bit), why does it need removing? What will it do? I am a little worried now tbh. Ill get on that tomorrow and sort it out!

Thank you for your help too, much appreciated
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    Having the cane there has given it something to climb up, but it also makes it easier to apply weedkiller because you have a good length of stem for it. You can follow Ladybird's suggestion, or you can lay the long stem on the ground to apply it.
    There are loads of other weeds surrounding it so it wouldn't matter if the bindweed stems are lying on them.
    It would be advisable to clear all of those other weeds to give the pyracantha a clear area to grow in. There's ground elder in there - it's as bad as bindweed unfortunately.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Haha just my luck, i think i have a gang of the worst weeds in the garden it seems
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,863
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    THank you very much, much appreciated