Forum home Fruit & veg

tomatoes

Hi, I’m growing tomatoes in pots and I’ve heard it’s beneficiary to drill small holes all around the sides of the pots to help the roots. Is this worth doing or shall I leave them?
 Thanks,Mick

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,840
    I’ve never heard of that or ever known it before, as long as there’s holes in the bottom and the pots are bucket sized they’ll be ok. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I agree with Lyn. I can't see how that would benefit them other than allowing excess water to drain away, but holes in the bottom should be doing that job.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I saw it on another website, it’s supposed to allow air to the roots but if I use a big enough pot it should be fine 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,306
    Sounds like a similar idea to airpots.
    When a root hits the hole, the end of the root dries and dies (air pruning) causing it to branch along its length thereby making more roots to supply the plant's needs.
    I did try them (airpots) a few years ago with very good results, the main problem was the toms needed watering every day and sometimes twice/day which was getting a chore
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8 said:
    Sounds like a similar idea to airpots.
    When a root hits the hole, the end of the root dries and dies (air pruning) causing it to branch along its length thereby making more roots to supply the plant's needs.
    I did try them (airpots) a few years ago with very good results, the main problem was the toms needed watering every day and sometimes twice/day which was getting a chore
    Yes that’s exactly what I read, I was thinking the same that it would dry the compost Out 
  • GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 305
    I think I get why you're asking, Mick, presumably something to do with replicating the benefits of Air-Pots. Haven't personally seen them discussed for tomatoes, but I know some serious chilli growers like Air-Pots.

For anyone not familiar, explanation of the claimed benefits here:
    https://air-pot.com/garden/
  • I think I get why you're asking, Mick, presumably something to do with replicating the benefits of Air-Pots. Haven't personally seen them discussed for tomatoes, but I know some serious chilli growers like Air-Pots.

For anyone not familiar, explanation of the claimed benefits here:
    https://air-pot.com/garden/
    Yes that’s exactly what I was reading about thanks 
  • GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 305
    Posted my comment before the one from @Pete.8 appeared for me. Independently had similar thoughts in relation to original post :)