Forum home Problem solving

Is my plant sick? please help!

hi everyone! 
I’m new to the forum and I’m also new to this gardening experience. So one of my friends gave me a plant as a present but she doesn’t know which plant it is. Also I’ve noticed that some parts are completely dying... I feel like it's sick... I tried to cut the bad parts but nothing changed and it keeps dying... do someone know the name of the plant and what should I do to save it? Thank you in advance! Hope to hear from you guys soon! Have a great day! 
Marty 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,997
    It looks like a Cupressus macrocarpa Goldcrest Wilma.
    It needs free draining soil in sun or part shade. It can be trimmed, but if left untrimmed can grow to 30ft! Like all conifers, only cut green growth, as if you cut into brown wood it will not regrow.
    Keeping it in a pot will restrain its growth, but make it more dependent on your care.
    Cannot tell if yours is indoors or out, (it needs to be outside), but the pot is far too small and the black ceramic looks the kind that may have no drainage holes, which is no good. Watering is key for young plants and it will suffer if either too dry or too wet. Water when the compost feels dry just below the surface. Give it a feed in the spring and repot as required.
  • Jacqueline29Jacqueline29 Posts: 382
    Also to add that if kept in a pot, it is advisable to stand the pot on little feet, so that the air can circulate and also the plant does not sit in water. 
  • It looks like a Cupressus macrocarpa Goldcrest Wilma.
    It needs free draining soil in sun or part shade. It can be trimmed, but if left untrimmed can grow to 30ft! Like all conifers, only cut green growth, as if you cut into brown wood it will not regrow.
    Keeping it in a pot will restrain its growth, but make it more dependent on your care.
    Cannot tell if yours is indoors or out, (it needs to be outside), but the pot is far too small and the black ceramic looks the kind that may have no drainage holes, which is no good. Watering is key for young plants and it will suffer if either too dry or too wet. Water when the compost feels dry just below the surface. Give it a feed in the spring and repot as required.
    Thank you for all the info!!! It's really helpful! the plant is in the veranda so I can't really put it outdoors. But I will try to follow your advices and see if it helps! Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer! 
    Have a great day! 
  • Also to add that if kept in a pot, it is advisable to stand the pot on little feet, so that the air can circulate and also the plant does not sit in water. 
    Thank you for the answer! I will try to do this as well! Have a good day! 
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    pot is too small however if you give it a bigger pot it will grow taller.

I've always wondered how bonsai growers grow something like an oak tree  no bigger than a cat with no dying leaves.