Forum home Problem solving

Wildflower?

Hi, I’m new to the forum and new to gardening. Discovered this growing in my grass today can anyone tell me what it is please. Looked online and thought maybe knapweed but it seems to have multiple flowers on each head? 

Thanks 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Think those are Pilosella Aurantiaca, Fox-and-cubs. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Think it’s Fox & Cubs ... pretty, but a real spreader ... info on this earlier thread 

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/2072646#Comment_2072646
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Steph14Steph14 Posts: 17
    Thankyou very much 
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 154
    Hi Steph14, this happens to be one of my favourite “wildflowers”. Fox and cubs or orange hawkweed as it is sometimes also known is not actually native to Britain. It originates from high altitude alpine meadows on the European continent. It is however now widely naturalised in grassy sites and gardens throughout the country and is often considered an undesirable weed due to its tendency to spread and multiply rapidly if left to its own devices. I have this plant growing in a container on my terrace. This is my first time growing it and as you can see it is doing pretty well. I bought the plant at a nearby garden centre where it was on offer in their wildflower section. Since having planted it into a bigger pot it has started to produce lateral runners and I’m worrying that it may try to crawl out of its current confines! Really looking forward to it flowering as I love the burnt orange/red dandelion-like blooms. Hoping the flowers will attract some pollinator insects to my humble urban oasis.

• Steph14Steph14 Posts: 17
    Hi Hippophae, thanks. I have many growing in my grass at the moment, I’m trying to make my garden wildlife friendly so will leave it where it is I think, it can join the many dandelions in my grass! Will look forward to see it flower.