Forum home Wildlife gardening

What might this be?

I found this in my garden.  It looks a bit like a spider but I've never seen one this white and this round.  Is it a spider?  A friend or a foe?

Sorry, the second photo is out of focus as the thing wouldn't stand still for me!

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,224
    Are there any spider foes in the UK?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,011
    Some of them bite apparently.
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 241
    Probably not.  But, is it a spider?  Odd colour, I think.  Or, perhaps, I'm wrong?

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,201
    White crab spider.  Misumina vatia.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Lizzie27 said:
    Some of them bite apparently.
    Useful to know.  Thank you, Lizzie.

Martin Luther King

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,717
    Fire said:
    Are there any spider foes in the UK?
    One keeps attaching its web to some cuttings I've got in a pot and then if I touch the web it pulls the cuttings out of the soil. I'm not sure if that counts though as it's eaten quite a lot of greenfly.

Thank you, Fidgetbones.  I googled it and found that they're referred to as "crab spiders" or "flower spiders" and some other interesting information:

Do crab spiders bite humans?

They are venomous, but most crab spiders have mouthparts too small to pierce human skin. Even the giant crab spider, which is large enough to successfully bitepeople, typically causes only mild pain and no lasting side effects.

And

Crab spiders are “sit and wait” predators that do not use webs. Their venom is highly toxic to bees, enabling them to tackle much larger prey. ... However, flower crab spiders themselves perform a little pollination.

I don't like the fact that they kill bees  :( 

Martin Luther King